Blog 19th November 2021
BIM and FM: How can we move forward?
Blog 14th January 2019
BIM and FM
How can we move forward?
In Summary:In a recent webinar, “BIM to FM – The Way Forward,” Martin Read, Editor, FM World, and Peter Brogan, Head of Research and Insights, BIFM, asked a panel of senior FM leaders how to address many of the challenges FMs face when it comes to BIM. A summary of the discussion is below. Read the report TIWFM (formerly BIFM) recently surveyed leaders in FM and asset management about the challenges they see facing professionals in our industry. They discussed a range of issues with respect to the relevance, adoption and use of building information modelling (BIM) to asset owner/operators and to the facilities management sector. Unfortunately, the current focus on BIM overlooks the longer-term value of data as a resource beyond planning, design and construction of new buildings. A key takeaway from the Leader Forum was that many industry individuals see great value and opportunity with BIM, but there are significant challenges to making this vision a reality for FM. Are the FMs in the trenches particularly excited about the idea of BIM? Not to stereotype here, but I’d have to say that my gauge is a widespread, “No, not yet.” How can we change their minds with this attitude? I believe that with enough real-world education, FMs can gain an understanding of how their data can lower overall costs downstream.
Webinar LearningsWith this in mind, I had the pleasure to participate as a panelist for a BIFM webinar on 15 November, sponsored by Invicara and hosted by Peter Brogan, Head of Research and Insights, BIFM. The webinar, “BIM to FM – The Way Forward,” was expertly chaired by Martin Read, Editor, FM World, and my fellow, experienced and knowledgeable panelists included, Mike Packham, Managing Director, BWA (Europe) Limited; and Jason Clark, Executive Director – Regional Head of Property Management, UBS. The purpose of this webinar was to share the perspective of senior FM leaders on how to address many of the challenges FMs frequently face when it comes to BIM. What role do FMs play? How can BIM improve timelines and costs of projects? Ultimately, how can BIM improve the function and maintenance of a building, increasing its lifecycle? Martin asked the panel several questions, giving each of us an opportunity to provide our own answers. Below you’ll find the questions, along with my answers, opinions, and suggestions. Question: What role should FM play in the management of building information within BIM projects? Answer: BIM is all about Building Information, with graphics to support and provide context to the information. BIM projects should be set up with the “end in mind”, meaning FM must define what data should be captured during design, construction, and handover. To do this,
- FM leads need to be invited to the table in defining the BIM project, at an early stage in the project so they can drive information requirements.
- FM leads need to have on staff (or consultants), who have a full understanding of the BIM process, and the time and expertise to actively contribute to the process.
- Establishing the information management platform that works for both new and existing facilities in the portfolio.
- Knowing where and when to deploy IoT and how to leverage that to progressively generate information, insights and knowledge.
- Significant initial cost reductions typically are seen during the capital phase.
- BIM is a journey that continues throughout a project’s lifecycle.
- To be patient. Additional, often unforeseen, value can be realised during operations
- Seize the day! Change will not happen unless someone takes charge.
- Provide senior-level management with education on the opportunity to digitally transform FM, its benefits, and the need for funding to upskill workforce into new roles and implement digital systems.
TakeawaysUltimately, my biggest lessons learned from both the leader forum and the webinar were simple:
- We need to improve education of BIM for FM
- We need a way to get good data
Video 19th November 2021
White Paper 12th November 2021
Case Study 27th October 2021
Case Study 25th October 2021
Blog 26th February 2020